Man burned in senior-home fire dies

by in News

Personal Injury News

Article Date: 2/5/2010 | Resource: MLG

Man burned in senior-home fire dies

ANAHEIM HILLS – A 75-year-old man who suffered second and third degree burns at a retirement community in January died Thursday.

Douglas Pelotte died from his injuries more than two weeks after the fire. According to the coroner’s office, a candle set his clothing on fire.

The fire was reported at 11:35 p.m. on Jan. 12 in the second floor of the independent living area at Canyon Hills Club Retirement Housing, 525 S. Anaheim Hills Rd., fire officials said. The fire was knocked down in about 15 minutes with the help of about 40 firefighters from Anaheim and the Orange County fire Authority.

Pelotte was rushed to a hospital with about 60 percent of his body burned, according to fire officials. It was unclear if Pelotte lived in the unit where the fire started.

This was the second fire at an Anaheim retirement home in January.

The first fire occurred Jan 2. at the Miracle Terrace Retirement Center on Western Avenue near Western High School. The fire killed a 73-year-old woman and left 47 residents displaced and shaken up.

For more information regarding this article please contact:

Jeffrey Marquart