The Dangers of Hamburger

by in News

Personal Injury News

Article Date: 10/8/2009 | Resource: MLG

The Dangers of Hamburger

If you enjoy a big juicy hamburger every now and again, you might want to read the New York Times’ stomach-churning story about the beef patty that nearly killed Stephanie Smith.

Smith, 22, ate a burger that her mother had grilled for their Sunday dinner. She wound up with a severe form of food-borne illness caused by E. coli, which shut down her kidneys, sent her into seizures, and prompted doctors to put her in a coma for nine weeks. When Smith awoke, she was paralyzed from the waist down.

The Times does a terrifying job tracing where the meat that wound up in Smith’s burger came from – and the gaping holes in the federal food safety system.

“Ms. Smith’s reaction to the virulent strain of E. coli was extreme, but tracing the story of her burger, through interviews and government and corporate records obtained by The New York Times, shows why eating ground beef is still a gamble,” the story says.

“Neither the system meant to make the meat safe, nor the meat itself, is what consumers have been led to believe.”

For more information regarding this article please contact:

Jeffrey Marquart