What storm damage to home is covered?

by in News

Personal Injury News

Article Date: 1/21/2010 | Resource: MLG

What storm damage to home is covered?

Q: Storm caused a tree to fall on my home. Does my homeowner insurance policy cover the damage?

A: Yes. The damage to your home would be covered, and most policies also cover between $500 and $1,000 for tree removal. However, if the tree fell into your yard and did not damage your home, the tree removal typically would be your own responsibility.

Q: Rising water flooded my home. Am I covered?

A: Yes, if you have flood insurance. However, a standard homeowner’s policy does not cover flood damage. Flood insurance is typically available from your agent through the National Flood Insurance Program (www.floodsmart.gov or 800-427-9662). Keep in mind that it takes 30 days from the time you purchase the policy for it to take effect. The standard homeowner policy covers damage from water that falls from the sky (rain, sleet, snow and hail), but a flood policy covers damage from rising water.

Q: How and when would water damage from clogged drains be covered?

A: Water drains inside the home that become clogged and cause water damage would be covered, up to the limit specified in the policy. Drains on the street or outside of the home that get clogged and cause flooding damage would only be covered if the homeowner had a flood policy.

Q: A hill collapsed and slid into my home. Does my homeowner insurance policy cover this damage?

A: No. Landslides and mudslides are not covered by either homeowner or flood insurance policies.

Q: Would storm damage to my home other than flooding be covered – broken roofs or windows – with a standard policy in such a storm?

A: The standard homeowner policy would also cover storm damage, other than flooding. This would include a tree falling on your home, rain that broke through your roof and caused water damage, wind that blew out windows or doors and caused damage and even a lightning strike that caused damage.

Q: Tornadoes blew shingles off my roof, causing a leak that allowed rain to soak my living room. Would I be covered for this damage?

A: Typically, yes. Damage to your home caused by tornadoes is covered under a standard homeowner insurance policy, however an aging or poorly maintained roof would not be covered under your homeowner policy.

Q: My fence blew down. Am I covered?

A: The best answer is “maybe.” If the fence is directly joined to the main insured structure, some policies will cover it under the standard policy. If it is not part of the main structure, endorsements exist for additional structures — unattached garages, fences, gazebos, guest houses, etc. The best bet is for the homeowner to read his/her policy carefully. If they can’t find the answer, call their agent or insurance company.

For more information regarding this article please contact:

Jeffrey Marquart