20 Southern California hospitals make Newsweek’s list of world’s top 1,000
Twenty Southern California hospitals have been named among the top 1,000 in the world, across 11 countries, in a list compiled for the first time by Newsweek in collaboration with Statista Inc., a global marketing research and consumer data company.
Three of those area hospitals — Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica — are ranked among the top 100 globally.
Newsweek and Statista evaluated hospitals using data charting hospital recommendations from peers, patient experience surveys measuring hospital satisfaction, and 25 commonly used measures including patient wait time, care team communication, quality of treatment and employee pay.
The report divided the rankings by nation. The following Southern California hospitals were ranked among the best in the United States:
- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center (No. 8 in the U.S.)
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (11)
- UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica (17)
- Scripps La Jolla Hospital, La Jolla (31)
- Torrance Memorial Medical Center (38)
- Keck Hospital of USC (40)
- UC San Diego Health, Jacobs Medical Center (60)
- Memorial Care Long Beach Medical Center (61)
- Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena (83)
- Sharp Memorial Hospital, San Diego (89)
- Mission Hospital, Mission Viejo (92)
- Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach (93)
- Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, Woodland Hills (123)
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center, Chula Vista (137)
- UC Irvine Medical Center, Orange (145)
- Northridge Hospital Medical Center (180)
- Palomar Medical Center, Escondido (181)
- Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center, Torrance (185)
- Methodist Hospital of Southern California, Arcadia (199)
- Scripps Green Hospital, La Jolla (219)
Erik G. Wexler, chief executive of Providence St. Joseph Health of Southern California, attributed the honors across the group to collaboration among experts within the seven-state, 51-hospital health care system.
“We are honored to be included in this first-ever list that measures not only the quality care we provide our patients, but also the dedication we have to our caregivers who provide quality care in a healing environment that treats the whole person – body, mind and spirit,” he said.
Providence St. Joseph Health of Southern California includes Mission Hospital, Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian and Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., topped the world ranking. Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and Massachusetts General in Boston also were among the top 10 hospitals in the world.
Newsweek said it compiled the list to help its readers understand the changes sweeping the health care industry.