Jury clears city of Long Beach in $40 million lawsuit by man who said road conditions caused crash that injured him
A jury ruled in favor of the city of Long Beach Thursday, in a case in which a man was suing for $40 million alleging unsafe road conditions led to a rollover crash and injuries.
This is the second time the case, stemming from a 2012 incident, has been tried, city officials said. In that first trial, the jury also returned in favor of the city.
Fermin Villa, a passenger in the vehicle, filed a lawsuit against the city after the crash on the ramp of Appian Way to eastbound 2nd Street. The driver lost control of the car and it flipped, causing Villa serious injuries, city officials said in a statement.
Villa claimed the ramp was dangerous public property and sued for damages. The city denied liability and countered that the crash was the driver’s fault.
During the month-long trial, the jury received information that the ramp was built properly and no other crashes had happened there. According to the city, the jury was also shown evidence that the driver had been drinking, was speeding and ignored traffic-control signals.
“As always, however, the city will review all available information to make sure that the roadway in this matter continues to be as safe as reasonably possible for all users,” the city said in a statement.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.